It's been a fun-filled 3 days at the Villa. It's gone very quickly and I can't believe we only have one more day of holidays left, then another dreaded plane trip. Mum and Dad are not looking forward to it at all. Here is me by the pool at the Villa. The water's too cold for me, so I just play on the lounge chairs instead. I've had a few falls!
Benny is braver than me and has actually been swimming. He's also better at sitting on chairs.
Here is me and Mum, playing the catch the dummy game. I've grown quite attached to my dummy this trip. So has Mum. I often catch her sucking away, rocking back and forth in the corner.
On Wednesday morning Vanessa, Dad, Mum and I ventured to the St Remy market. It was great. Mum bought lots of stinky cheese and some wine. Dad bought some Madeleine cakes. Vanessa bought a dress.
On Thursday Dad had a study day, so Mum and I ventured out by ourselves to Pont du Gard, an old Roman aqueduct. It was big and impressive, but a long way to drive and I got shirty. I didn't want to be in the pram or the sling! Here is me just before I cracked it:
Just where did the water go?
On Friday, we were on tour through the Luberon, with Mum behind the wheel. First stop, Minerbes. Dad said 'Your driving is making Minerbes!'. Mum politely laughed and kept her less-than-polite thoughts to herself. (Dad has been banned from driving.)
The tobacconist coffee shop had the best views in town. Frankly, the cigarette butts in the pot plant were more fascinating.
Don't you hate it when the annoying tourists - just like yourselves - won't get out of the shot.
The church (Eglise St Luc) was built in the 12th century! Not sure about the tradesmen around here, though - nine centuries on the tools seems excessive.
Pretty, isn't it? Mum couldn't stop taking photos.
Next stop, Bonnieux. Another church, another panoramic view, more steep hills for the pram to negotiate:
It got a bit chilly so we popped into a restaurant for shelter and overpriced food. Luckily the wait staff were entertaining and I made friends with the clientele. The girl in the background didn't speak English, but the universal language of high fives was enough to bond us.
Speaking of bondage, our final port was Lacoste, the site of Chateau of the Marquis de Sade. Mum was tickled pink, Dad lightly spanked. Here's the pathway to the 'house of pain':
Something was amiss in this town, I thought. No crocodiles, and no tennis courts - how the hell did Mr Lacoste do it! Another bell tower though.
Mum and Dad love the sound of bells after a big night ... at 7am ... then 7:30 ... then 8. Actually, Mum sleeps through it all. Her big nights must be pretty big. There's certainly been plenty of them at the villa, with food and wine aplenty. Here's my mate Benny, his dad Peter, and Dad whipping up dessert.
Vive la France!
This place has got everything, including a grand piano:
... a baby grand. (You've made some bad puns Dad, but that's your worst.)
I didn't really want to tinkle the ivory. I preferred to slam down the lid ... on my fingers. Very funny, Dad!
Today (Saturday) the first stop was the picaresque neighbouring town of Eygalieres. You guessed it ... more churches and bell towers.
Mum and Dad had savoury crepes for lunch. Dad opted for the modest ratatouille crepe, Mum for the decadent 'trois fromage'. Unsurprisingly, Mum spent the afternoon in bed sleeping off a heart attack.
Next stop was Les Baux, a medieval hilltop village close to where we are staying. Twelfth century construction, amazing views. It was enough to leave me cockeyed.
Check it out:
Saturday night all the grown ups went out for dinner. They conned a nice lady called Francoise to babysit. The other kids went to bed before she arrived, so she was all mine. What fun. I was asleep when Mum and Dad returned, but when I slept until nearly 10am the next morning my parents suspected the worst. Haha!
A bientot!
Lewis












No comments:
Post a Comment